it was something she said

my very good friend meg, whom i might as well start referring to as my life sensei, emailed a quote this week that really got my old wheels turning:

“I think if women put some more of the time and money they put on their heads in their heads, they’d be better off. I mean, nobody’s going to think you’re thirty-two, so what’s the point?” – Iris Apfel

she was speaking specifically about plastic surgery but it struck a chord with me because i am a very vain person and i kinda spend a bit of money on the upkeep of this aging body, face and hair.

but i always shy away from spending money on a class i want to take. i have had a dream of always being enrolled in a college course just to learn and not necessarily to finish another degree. i never do it because i see it as a waste of money. how come i don’t view my highlights, manicures, endless stream of make-ups and moisturizers as wastes of money?

well to a point i do and i am pretty conservative on how many products i buy and i go to the aveda institute to be serviced by students and get a better deal, but i still feel that’s money well spent. hmmm. how do i reconcile this with my woman power thoughts?

well, i’m not going to rake myself over the coals for feeling that it’s ok because as previously stated i’m very vain and i don’t think that’s going to change. but if i’m going to talk the talk of being all feminista about my life then i need to walk the walk and maybe start putting a little bit of money into further educating myself.

but i just wanted to pose the question out there: am i the only woman who finds it completely acceptable to spend money on appearance but somehow convinces herself spending money on extra classes is a waste?  do you think this is societal?

well, i’m sure that 93% of that answer is that i am, as previously stated, vain. the other 7% might be coming from outside societal pressure.

go here for more of this thought provoking article about ms. iris apfel

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “it was something she said

  1. I have the opposite problem. I want to spend all my money on classes and lessons and books and art supplies and learning. Meanwhile, I wear the same clothes day in and day out and have never gotten a manicure. Surely there’s a happy medium?

  2. I’m with Tammy- except that most of my money goes to my babies. They wear the finest clothes you can find for youngsters while I try to keep myself convinced that shirts from six years ago are just fine. I spend more on one pair of shoes for them than I will spend on two pair for myself. And I, too, have never had a manicure. I couldn’t dream of spending extra money on myself- Zach has to buy me gift certificates to hair salons to get me to pamper myself. I would love to find a happy medium. Tammy- if you find it- give me a heads up. And Elaine- take the class. Just sign up for it. I’m sure you’ll love it…. and it will give you something new to blog about. ;)

  3. and…. Elaine- if you could recommend a good facial cleanser & moisturizer for me since you are much more of an expert on the subject than I am…. that would be amazing. Maybe I’ll splurge on something for me soon- instead of buying more clothes for my kiddos that grow way to quickly to justify the cost of them.

  4. You have been gifted with gorgeous hair and looks and its respectable that you enrich those gifts with good care. Its just part of growing and maturing that you take notice of your other gifts and also strive to develop them. Are you planning a university experience, continuing studies, community college? Do you want to learn a particular skill, expand your previous education or learn something totally new? Just go on line and look at course offerings in various venues and you’ll find something that pulls you in. It’s just a matter of changing focus and shopping for a different kind of product. And I think you love your hair more than anyone I know. Not that I have a problem with that….since that day when you were just 8 or 9 when it occured to me that I didn’t have to be part of the effort to prepare it each day and that you could manage it without my assist I have accepted that you have a special bond with your locks. I can’t really say how that came about….maybe it was those competitions at school for who earned the right to sit next to Kelli? Its your call and I know you will make the right choice.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s